Real Name: Shirou Emiya
First Appearance: Fate/Stay Night (2004)
- Replicated Saber's sword, Excalibur
-- But as a sword of divine origin the strain of creation was borderline suicidal.
- Took out 5-6 of Berserker/Hercules' twelve lives (depends on the translation)
-- In the end, he was overpowered and killed.
-- In the original visual novel, did it with a broken arm and without resorting to Unlimited Blade Works.
-- In the Studio DEEN Adaptation, he resorted to Unlimited Blade Works.
- Though the weakest Servant, has held his own against stronger and faster opponents through skill and wit.
-- Outwitted Caster and killed off her Master.
-- Fought Lancer to a standstill.
-- Landed the final blow that ultimately killed Gilgamesh in UBW.
--- Faked his death to do so, and helped the heroes from the shadows for the rest of the plot.
- In Fate/hollow ataraxia, Archer is able to repeatedly defeat both Shirou and Saber with incessant pinpoint sniping.
-- Same game, in the final act, he and Rin hold the line against an army of Avenger copies (shadowy corrupted Servants capable of overrunning the city).
- Implied that he went easy on Shirou and LET him win.
- Gave Shirou his own arm after Shirou lost one.
-- Implemental to the plot and gave Shirou Archer's abilities and experiences.
* Class States:
- Strength: D
- Endurance: C
- Agility: C
- Magical Energy: B
- Luck: E
- Noble Phantasm: Unknown
* Class Skills:
> Independent Action: The ability to remain independent even without the magical energy supplied by his Master. Acting in autonomy from the Master's Magical Energy supply, the Master can concentrate their own Magical Energy on large spells, and the Servant will be fine even in the case they can not supply Magical Energy due to injury. Archer's Rank in this skill is B, which mean that is possible for him to stay in the world for two days without a Master. However, this is the ideal value achieved by maximally conserving mana and avoiding battle and Noble Phantasm usage.
> Magic Resistance: Grants protection against magical effects. Differently from the Resistance effect that merely rejects Magical Energy, this ability cancels the spells altogether. Archer's rank cancels Single-Action spells.
* Personal Skills:
> Clairvoyance: A skill that connotes superior visual perception and dynamic occipital capture, such as to supplement the long-range aiming of projectile weapons. Archer's C Rank in this skill allows him to easily view and snipe Servants who are several kilometers away.
> Eye of the Mind (True): The heightened capacity for observation, refined through experience. Archer's rank in this skill is B, greatly improving his chances of winning due to being able to calmly analyze all possibilities and choose the appropriate course of action, even if his chance of winning is only one percent.
> Magecraft: A skill that reflects one's knowledge on modern Magecraft and Thaumaturgy. As he is an inept magus, Archer has a low-rank of C-, but it rises to A+ when using projections that fall under the category of "sword", reflecting his Origin and Elemental Affinity.
* Skills and Abilities:
> Counter Guardian:
- Archer is not a regular Heroic Spirit who was revered as a hero, but instead a Counter Guardian who made a contract with World for power. He is a Heroic Spirit from the future, so he does not gain any blessings normally provided by fame. He also does not possess any actual Noble Phantasms, but his Reality Marble, Unlimited Blade Works, can be called his Noble Phantasm in a way. He wears a cloak and mantle set that are first rate Conceptual Weapons made from the Holy Shroud of a saint. It does not oppose enemies, but instead the external environment.
- Due to his nature, he has no fame as a hero and he cannot be recognized by those with knowledge from the Throne of Heroes. This makes him a confusing existence for the other Servants, displaying his projection that turns normally important Noble Phantasms into items that can be discarded and destroyed on a whim, varied abilities that would normally mark the identity of a Servant, and contradictory abilities that do not match any known hero. Lancer believes there should be no Archer with a shield capable of blocking Gae Bolg, and Berserker thinks that being defeated in six different ways, all abilities of the highest class, without learning of the enemy's identity is very strange.
- Due to lacking an actual Noble Phantasm, Archer's basic abilities are below those of other Servants. His main strength lies within his versatility and adaptability, shown through his exceptional use of tactics and battle experience making his combat style very distinct from those of other Servants. His strength does not come from natural talent like Rin or Saber, but instead from single-minded refining of what little talent he had in life. He had nothing at first, and through improving himself for reason that he was not extraordinary, his techniques trained by his will alone reached the point where it is obvious to Shirou that he should be naturally considered strong. He is not fixated on the exact method of winning, opening many possibilities not available to those who fight with chivalry and codes of honor.
- Unlimited Blade Works is his sole magecraft, allowing for the use of Reinforcement and Projection. As a "blacksmith Heroic Spirit", it includes the “all the elements necessary to shape swords”, allowing for the replication of Noble Phantasms. All weapons are copied upon seeing them once, he has thousands stored as of the Fifth Holy Grail War, and all can be freely deployed. Many varieties of weapons can be summoned for melee combat, though he primarily utilizes Kanshou and Bakuya. Swords can also be summoned and modified to be fired as arrows and utilized as Broken Phantasms by overloading them with energy to generate overwhelming destructive power from exploding upon contact. He also has the ability to summon weapons in the air and fire them like arrows in the same way as Gilgamesh uses his Gate of Babylon.
- He can fight in a variety of ways depending on the situation, allowing him to match or even exceed other Servants even without an actual Noble Phantasm of his own. Utilizing Broken Phantasms requires for the destruction of a Noble Phantasm, so it is not something able to be utilized by a normal Servant without sacrificing their strength. Due to him being able to replicate as many weapons as he wishes, the use of Broken Phantasms became a trump card available only to him. He can turns the odds in his favor by assaulting melee Servants with such long range attacks. Even if he attempts to replicate a Excalibur-class holy sword, he does not have the magical energy necessary to bring out its full potential and may simply end up fading away after using all his energy in a suicidal attack.
- Though he is of the Archer class, which originally focuses on long range combat, he is adept at melee combat, and due to his wish to conceal his trump card, he mainly focuses on melee tactics, primarily utilizing Kanshou and Bakuya when engaging other Servants. Even when told to fight seriously by utilizing a bow as expected of the Archer class, he continues to rush into close combat without intentions to draw his bow. Utilizing his unorthodox tactics, he is even able to slay Berserker six times. He will also use other weapons like Caladbolg II to thrust at the opponent's heart or Durandal to perform powerful strikes.
- Kanshou and Bakuya are his preferred weapons, and his usage of them has allowed him to develop a style of fighting perfectly suited to him. Though he can fight with a single blade, he generally wields them both at once. The advantage of projection allows for him to replace swords if they are destroyed or if he is disarmed. He has no trouble projecting twenty-eight pairs during a strenuous clash consisting of over a hundred strikes and constantly being disarmed. His greatest strategy, Triple-Linked Crane Wings, involves utilizing multiple projected pairs in succession to completely seal the opponent.
> Ranged Combat:
- Archer utilizes a bow that he projects when he does make use of projectiles, which, along with his armor, is made from a special material that has yet to be discovered by mankind as of the present time. "Archer's Bow" is a matte black, western-style straight bow, with a simple design that was constructed to be resistant enough to fire Noble Phantasms. It is a completely original weapon, a projection whose structure and composition is not directly taken from another hero's bow. He often uses regular arrows for quick and accurate attacks that cost less magical energy than Noble Phantasms. Their accuracy is spot-on, and their power is still great enough to bring down houses with a small barrage released in quick succession. Releasing over a dozen arrows at once, they are accurately fired at the opponent whether as a sneak attack or support for another. He is capable of performing Broken Phantasm shots from various distances, from hundreds of meters away up to four kilometers away from the target.
- His Clairvoyance, a visual ability also called "Hawk Eye" that affects the accuracy of bows, allows him to execute his "ultra long-range sniping" precisely even against targets moving at high speeds as long as they are within a four kilometer range. With accuracy transcending the realm of men, it is an ability often used for scouting that is able to fully survey the town simply upon looking down from a high location. Utilizing the "must-have ability" of the Archer class, such strikes greatly differ from his regular arrows, and they are a means to certainly kill the opponent. Differing from his former Japanese shooting method, nocking the arrow in the palm of the left hand, Archer utilizes the traditional European method of nocking the arrow over the back of the left hand. He is skilled enough to mark two enemies and fire a single arrow with the intention of striking both, surpassing the normal rules being unable to alter its course.
- He can make use of specific strategies to defeat opponents from long range, such as Saber, who would not fall in single combat easily even inside Unlimited Blade Works. Burdening her with protecting Shirou and keeping her from utilizing Excalibur, he is free to fire upon her without worry of being counterattacked and increase the power each time. If such tactics are unavailable, such as with Assassin, it is possible that fighting directly may lead to his defeat. Utilizing sniping can cause him to falter when suddenly forced into close combat, as returning to his true method of attack leaves him unable to draw his sword and respond properly due to focusing on his arrows.
> Magecraft Abilities:
- Although classified under the Archer class, he was not a swordsman nor an archer in life, but a magus at his core relying on his one spell, Unlimited Blade Works, to fight. Despite being a skilled combatant, his true unique strength lies within the manufacturing of weapons rather than their use. His abilities in life were unremarkable overall, utilizing Reinforcement with difficulty and the "structural analysis" step of projection more often than anything else. Only Projection had any worth, having granted him the many Noble Phantasms and combat skills they hold. Aside from Projection, he can also use magic detection and magic resistance, which are considered very basic. He does not posses the ability to utilize offensive magecraft that work around the lines of nature interference. His dark skin, white hair, and gray eyes are a side effect of extensively using Projection Magecraft.
- He has weak Magic Resistance, D rank, that is only the equivalent of an anti-magic amulet. He can nullify spells of one bar, but anything higher than that will annul the resistance. It can easily be overcome by a relatively strong magus, as his affinity with magecraft is much worse than Heroic Spirits of ancient times. He may have been a magus possessing the unusual Projection magecraft, but they were those who saw magecraft and even Magic as commonplace. Due to that resulting in his low ability, even spells greater than two steps can be fatal to him.
- Without any support, he is at a serious disadvantage against a Caster, capable of great sorceries and ritual spells, and even spells from magi Masters must be watched carefully. When holding both Kanshou and Bakuya, his magic resistance is improved, and he proves capable of deflecting even Caster's A-ranked spells, though they still pose fatal danger should they strike him.
* List of Noble Phantasm's:
* Unlimited Blade Works: Infinite Creation of Swords
> Rank: E- ~ A++
> Type: Anti-Unit
> A Reality Marble, also known as an Innate Bounded Field, is an extremely rare high-class sorcery that expands an enclosed alternate reality that is a physical representation of a user's soul.
> By chanting a small poem as incantation, EMIYA can force his Reality Marble to replace the physical world around him.
> Most of the Noble Phantasms in Unlimited Blade Works are copies of legendary weapons archived inside Gate of Babylon, although several others were traced by Archer later during his lifetime.
> He can call any number of weapons he previously recorded and unleash them on his opponent from all sides.
- Archer's Reality Marble, and, in effect, his Noble Phantasm. While he has no true Noble Phantasm to call his own, if a Noble Phantasm is the embodiment and symbol of a hero's legend, then Unlimited Blade Works is Archer's Noble Phantasm. It is born from his Origin and Element of "Sword", a high-class thaumaturgy that overwrites the world with his own internal world. Unlimited Blade Works automatically records every weapon that Archer sees, analyzing their structures and storing them within his internal world. Archer can then, whenever he pleases, project them onto the world. Within Unlimited Blade Works, this is virtually effortless and instant. However, the weapons he produces are ranked down. He can also project defensive constructions such as shields, but the mana cost for these is much higher.
- By charging up his Noble Phantasms with mana, Archer can fire them from his bow as a Broken Phantasm, which provides a great increase to their power and Mystery, at the cost of destroying it on impact. While this would be a massive gamble for any other Servant, it is no issue for Archer at all, as he can just project more. However, it can take up to forty seconds to charge a Broken Phantasm, depending on how much energy Archer is putting into it.
-Unlimited Lost Works: The Void Creation of Swords
*Rank: E- ~ A++
*EMIYA shoots a target with a Origin Bullet that causes multiple swords to erupt out of them and damage the target, regardless of its durability.
* Techniques and Skills:
> Gae Bolg: Spear of Impaling Barbed Death
- Archer launches Gae Bolg over a vast distance, bending the laws of causality to ensure a strike to the heart.
- The fact that the lance has pierced the target's heart is established before the attack is unleashed makes it impossible to avoid except by destiny-bending abilities.
- It is only B-ranked though, therefore beings with superior conceptual resistance such as Berserker!Hercules might be able to nullify the attack.
> Gae Bolg: Spear of Striking Death Flight
- The true usage of Gae Bolg as a thrown javelin, Archer charges the weapon with Prana and launches is at an opponent.
- This attack attempts to blow away large groups of enemies, instead of dispatching a single foe with absolute accuracy.
- In contrast to the Impaling Barbed Death property, the Striking Death Flight attempts to blow away large groups of enemies, instead of dispatching a single foe with sure lethality.
> Nine Lives Blade Works: The Shooting Hundred Heads
- A Noble Phantasm of Berserker!Herakles derived from defeating the nine-headed, nigh-immortal Lernaean Hydra with his bow and arrows.
- It utilises eight simultaneous slashes from different directions in one instant, followed by a stab to the center, all done at great speed and each strike is considered a lethal A-ranked blow.
- Nine Lives Blade Works is degraded from the original version, and this degradation cannot be minimised through the use of Unlimited Blade Works.
> Broken Phantasm: The Destroyed Illusion
- Archer is able to overload a Noble Phantasm with large amounts of mana and shoot it as an arrow that can home in on its target.
- This increases the power of the Noble Phantasm considerably and it also raises its mystery rank by an entire level.
- This causes the Noble Phantasm becomes dangerously unstable and immensely destructive, destroying itself upon impact with any target.
- On the negative side, it takes 30 to 40 seconds to charge up a Broken Phantasm.
- Broken Phantasms are also shown to be extremely fast when fired as a projectile, as shown by Hrunting, which crossed four kilometers in under a second.
> Crane Wings Three Realms
- Archer throws Kansho & Bakuya as projectiles with the purposes of being deflected and a second pair for slashing an opponent as the first pair return to strike.
- A enhanced Reinforcement third pair known as Overedge is traced to finish the target with an X-shaped slash.
> Structural Analysis:
- With just a glance, Archer can analyze a melee armament's properties, mentally reverse engineer its entire existence, creation, structure, and history as well as the stranger metaphysical qualities.
- Analyzed designs are stored in Unlimited Blade Works for later use, including creating derivatives.
- Archer can also visualize the physical condition of most objects with a touch, finding areas for improvement, or weaknesses to exploit.
- Also known as Gradation Air, this magecraft materializes objects in accordance to the caster's imagination through the use of prana.
- Archers variant, "Tracing'" lets him draw from Unlimited Blade Works to produce endless copies of any weapon stored there, including the special abilities or magical qualities.
- These copies 'remember' the original wielder's combat style, allowing Archer to fight using skill beyond his level or turn an opponents style back on them.
- Projected weapons can also be manifested in large numbers around him and launched as projectiles.
- The art of infusing prana to enhance an object - such as a sword's sharpness and durability, a muscle's strength, or an eye's vision.
- Self-Reinforcement lets Archer perform at even higher levels so long as he has enough prana.
- Using the intermediary step between Reinforcement and Projection, Archer can give an object a property or effect that it originally didn’t have.
> Kanshou and Bakuya: Gan Jiang and Mo Ye
- Rank: C-
- Type: Anti-Unit
- Twin falchions representing Yin and Yang and Emiya's favored blades, becoming his symbols after having wielded them all his life.
- They are bonded weapons that can attract each-other like magnets when thrown and will always return to the wielder, much like a boomerang, making them versatile throwing weapons as well
- When strengthened with reinforcement sorcery, the blades will extended nearly twice their original length and take on appearance of tattered feathers; known as Overedge.
> Emiya's Bow
- The bow of the Blacksmith Hero Emiya and perhaps the only weapon in the entirety of Unlimited Blade Works that truly belongs to him.
- A western-style straight bow, with a simple design that was constructed to be resistant enough to fire Noble Phantasms.
->Aestus Estus: The Embryonic Flame
- A hand-crafted longsword that was wielded by Imperator Nero Cladius Divi Claudius filius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, AKA Red Saber.
- The sword has the following inscription carved upon the blade: Regnum Caelorum et Gehenna (Kingdom of Heaven and Hell).
- Partly based on the Great Fire of Rome, which Nero started so she could bypass the senate and rebuild Rome to her liking.
- A demonic sword featured in Norse mythology and "Der Ring des Nibelungen", originally possessed by the dragon Fafnir.
- It carries a curse that requires it to always kill a man once drawn and does not allow it to return to its sheath until such is accomplished.
> Excalibur Galatine: The Reborn Sword of Victory
- Type: Anti-Army
- Rank: A+
- Wield by Sir Gawain, one of the greatest Knights of the Round Table and the sister sword to Excalibur.
- Represents the rays of heat from the sun, and possesses a 'pseudo-sun' in the hilt.
- When activated, the pseudo-sun creates a miniature sun above, which, using a magical circle, allows EMIYA to harness enough energy to extend the sword as far as one can visualize its blade, about 13 kilometers.
- A horizontal slash of flame is unleashed that pierces through the enemy and erupts into a giant ball of fire that engulfs them.
> Immortal Slaying Scythe: Harpe
- The scythe used by the Greek hero Perseus to slay the Gorgon Medusa.
- It inflicts wounds that cannot be healed any magic spell or technology, and must instead heal naturally over time through the body's own natural processes.
> Houtengeki: The Decrated Halberd that Matches the Heavens
- A one kind of halberd passed down in Chinese culture and the only type of halberd out of many to attain the rank of Noble Phantasm, likely due to use by Lu Bu of the Chinese Three Kingdoms Period.
- It is presumably enchanted to let it match the strength of almost any opponent, even demigods.
- Can be used to thrust, swipe, pull, and parry, but it requires a great deal of skill to wield effectively.
> Gáe Bolg: Piercing Death Barb/Striking Death Flight
- Type: Anti-Unit/Anti-Army
- Rank: B
- Range: 2 - 40
- A huge barbed spear constructed from the bones of a giant sea monster and owned by Cú Chulainn, an unstoppable warrior hero in Irish legend.
- It can reverse cause and effect, stabbing through the opponent's heart when thrust so long as their defenses or luck are too low to counteract it.
- Any wounds inflicted by the spear are cursed and cannot heal as long as the weapon exists in the world.
- It can also be thrown or launched as an anti-army projectile attack within a range of 40 kilometres (40,000 meters) or a maximum possible range of 6,371 kilometers (6,371,000 meters).
> Caladbolg II: The Fake Spiral Sword
- Rank: A
- Type: Anti-Army
- A redesign of the Caladbolg, a sword possessed by the hero Fergus of the Ulster Cycle of Ireland.
- Modified heavily by Emiya for use as a projectile, though it can also be used as a close-range thrusting tool.
- Releases a rainbow-colored energy beam with every swing, capable of eliminating entire battalions of soldiers and lopping off the tops of small hills.
- It can penetrate any target by creating a twisting distortion in space when fired and able to explode in case of a enemy “resisting” the powerful distortion created by the weapon.
> Durandal: The Peerless Sword
- Rank: B
- Type: Anti-Unit
- The Holy Sword granted to King Charlemagne of the Frankish Empire by an angel, awarded to and favored by the Paladin leader of the Twelve Peers, Roland.
- It possess three miracles - instant temporary increases in power - that allow it to maintain it's sharpness even after it's wielder's prana is depleted.
> Rho Aias - The Seven Rings that cover the Fiery Heavens
- Rank: B
- Type: Anti-Unit
- The seven-layered shield used by Telamonian Ajax, a Greek hero from the The Iliad who evenly matched Hector of Troy in combat.
- It exists as a Conceptual Weapon, creating a seven layer shield in order to protect from any thrown weapon.
- Takes the form of a Bounded Field of a pink flower with seven petals in reference to the death of Ajax, that his blood gave birth to Hyacinth flowers.
- Strong enough to withstand a blast from Black Excalibur, stop the thrown version of Gae Bolg, piercing up to the seventh layer before stopping and protect Shirou from an uncharged Enuma Elish.
> Excalibur Image: Forever Distant Golden Sword
- An attack only possible within the confines of Unlimited Blade Works and can only be used while it is active.
- When used, Archer generates a degraded copy of Excalibur, charging it with prana before swinging it at his opponent and dealing massive damage but shattering on impact.
> Hrunting: Hound of the Red Plains
- Rank: C
- Type: Anti-Unit
- The blade Beowulf used to slay Grendel's mother, which EMIYA uses an arrow that can follow it's target wherever they go and home in on them, even if it's parried, blocked, or dodged.
- EMIYA can shoot it up to five times in a row, adding magical energy each time to further increase its speed and power.
- The range of this attack is equivalent to a fully charged Excalibur, leaving little room for counterattack if the opponent's cannot perceive EMIYA's position.
- Archer is able to further modify Hrunting so that it will lower the opponent's defense or physical strength on impact should they survive the attack.
- The catalyst that was used by the Einzbern family to summon Beserker!Heracles.
- Capable of causing massive destruction with the mere backlash of Heracles' swings.
- Can be used to utilize Heracles' fighting technique, Nine Lives Blade Works with the Axe-Sword.
> Rule Breaker: All Spells Must Be Broken
- Rank: C
- Type: Anti-Unit/Anti-Thaumaturg
- A contract-severing Noble Phantasm traced from the signifying tool of Medea.
- It is a weapon that nullifies all magecraft - be they barriers or projections - and sevens contracts, with the wielder having the ability to steal magecraft contracts for themselves if they are proficient enough in Magic.
> Azoth Dagger
- The Gem Sword passed down to Tohsaka Rin by Kotomine Kirei.
- It is a Mystic Code and tool for performing magecraft.
- Archer in life lacked most advantages of an established magus family or their innate sensitivity to magic, leaving him no talent with anything but Projection.
- Despite his abilities, Archers stats are generally moderate in a straight-up power comparison.
-- He can reliably take on most Servants, but only through skill, finesse and strategy rather then sheer brute force or overwhelming power.
- Unlimited Blade Works can only recreate earthly weapons, mundane or fantastic, forged or fabricated in nature and origin.
-- Extremely aberrant, godly, or extra-dimensional armaments are well beyond Archers reach.
- While he can utilize almost any melee weapon, Archer himself is ultimately only borrowing the skills of the user and like his projections, his replicated skills on their own will almost always fall short of the originals.